Friday, September 15, 2006

Your Boat Scratched My Anchor!

For the maiden voyage of the S.S. Central Illinois Bias, I thought I would just go a little more in-depth about the plans for the site than I did in the description at the top of the page.

I understand that teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and Duke & Carolina hoops get big ratings for the broadcast and cable networks; I just don't care. Plus, I shouldn't leave out the overplayed folks on the West Coast. I'm just as tired of the Lakers, USC football and Barry Bonds.

There are even some Midwestern folks who, if you didn't know better, plied their trade on the East Coast. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre, I'm looking at you.

Also, you can't have a sports blog these days without ripping on ESPN. So you should expect plenty of that. Beware Stuart Scott, Stephen A. Smith and Lou Holtz!

You, the reader can expect plenty of commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Bears and the Illinois Fighting Illini (maybe not the football team). Since I'm a fan of these teams, they'll be covered the most and treated very gently. Unless they suck, in which case, they're fair game.

Speaking of sucking, I'll give you some thoughts on the Chicago Cubs. Though I'm not a fan at all, I still pay attention to what is going on in Wrigleyville. It's a shame Dusty is packing his bags, because he is an easy target for ridicule.

I will also provide my thoughts on the White Sox. My dad is a longtime White Sox fan and I've been going to games with him for years. I'm a Cardinal fan first, but if they aren't playing the Cards, I'm pulling for the Sox.

I'll talk about some of the other colleges in Illinois, including my alma mater, Illinois State. I'm sure I can work up a good post or two on Redbird football coach/bumpkin Denver Johnson.

If I have the time or they send me any free tickets, I'll write about some of the minor-league teams in Peoria and Bloomington. Speaking of minor-league teams, there's also the St. Louis Blues. I don't know much about hockey, so I couldn't add much even if their games weren't aired on the Outdoor Life Network.

Well, that's the inaugural post. Let the poorly written fun begin!

By the way, even though the initials for the blog are CIB, you'll never hear me refer to the site by that name. I used to work at a place called CIB and it might just bring back too many bad memories. Those memories include being suspended for writing about sports on the internet. Alanis Morrisette said it best when she said, "Isn't it ironic?"

Don't you think?

3 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Boski93 said...

Good luck to you sir, even though I am from the left coast, I am a White Sox fan and I hate the Cubs.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

central illinois bank holler?

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger The General said...

B93,

Thanks for checking in with the site. I won't discriminate against you since your from the left coast.

Anon,

True 'dat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home